Sunday, November 04, 2007

Friday Morning on the Way to School

Chloe and Jonathan come with me to the school each morning. It's a 10 minute walk to the subway and another 25 minute subway ride to the school. In general, I enjoy this time (I'll let you know if that's still the case when the temps drop below freezing. Doubtful.). The city is still sleepy when we leave, the air feels fresh, and the sun is rising. Clusters of NYPD cops stand on the corners, window washers are getting a head start on their never-ending task, and the coffee and donut carts are pumping out lovely aromas into the air.
I snapped some pics last Friday.

Taxis line up outside The World Financial Center, which is across from our apt. complex

We cross the Westside Hwy each morning on a footbridge. This is looking north. The World Financial Center is on the left, the WTC site is to the right.

Looking south down the Westside Hwy. Battery Park City is one of the last places in Manhattan with room to build. The condos that are being built will sell for millions of dollars each.

Rector Street Station. Our stop.

Chloe and Jonathan are often the only children in our subway car. We make the most of our time by reading books together, talking about the day to come, and reviewing spelling words or something similar. We're starting to recognize regulars who ride the same time as we do each day.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Even though I get to stay in my bathrobe and the bus comes to the end of my driveway, I find that last pic of your kids on the subway so endearing it makes me want to ride one to a job that I don't even have! ;)

Lorraine said...

I LOVE early morning in NYC.