Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Value of Family Mealtime

I recently read an article exhorting families to make time for dinner together, to give room in their busy lives to share a meal and discussion, to reconnect and process their lives together.

The article came to mind on Thursday as my family gathered around steaming plates of spaghetti and meatballs.

Jonathan offered up the conversation opener.

I have a joke. Why did the... (he glanced wildly around until his eyes fell to his plate)... Why did the spaghetti and meatballs cross the road?

Wait, wait! Steve said. Don't tell me. I know this one.

Jonathan didn't even pause. To get to the fort!

Steve didn't pause even more. That's what I was going to say.

Chloe paused for a long, long time.
That's not really funny.
Deadpan.

And I said nothing, thinking that the article had a point.


2 comments:

Laurie said...

Nothing beats a little family dinnertime.

This post proves 1)Steve's a good dad. 2) You can cook. 3)The boy has talent. 4) And our siblings are always our toughest critics.

By the way, did Chelle send you the lovely photo of you and your prom date (my hubby)? You guys were looking hot in 1992! ;)

Lorraine said...

Family dinnertime is pretty much sacrosant around here. When it doesn't happen, it feels very weird.