We had a plan, and the plan was as follows:
- Gather up snacks, hot chocolate, warm blankets, and deck of cards
- Locate and don long underwear, snow pants, mittens, hats, scarves
- Claim a section of sidewalk along Central Park West at approx. 6:30 am
- Make friends with fellow settlers to decrease the likelihood of sidewalk theft in the case of absence due to bathroom breaks
- Settle in the for the long haul
- Enjoy one of the best parades in the world
We forgot to add a crucial element: Find a way to manipulate the weather.
Yesterday afternoon it became clear that the weather was not going to be in a similar state come parade time, and we abandoned the parade plans. As a substitute, we walked to the area around the Museum of Natural History and watched hundreds of people in Macy's jumpsuits inflate the gargantuan balloons.
Broadway song and celebrity endorsement. And with every soggy float that rolled across the screen, I was incredibly thankful that we were warm and dry indoors. It is Thanksgiving, after all.
After the parade, Chloe and I discussed the best way to decorate the apartment for Christmas, considering that we left our boxes of decorations in Michigan. We searched for supplies and started to create.
The not-too-shabby-if-a-bit-resembling-a-classroom results: