Thursday, November 16, 2006

But Does It Top a Visit to the Gypsum Mines?

Chloe's class is gallivanting off to the Metropolitan Museum of Art today. I think it's so great that she has the opportunity, that we are here in a city that can offer something so beautiful. However, I am unclear about how they will help a group of 25 kindergartners and first graders to resist the urge to run their hands up and down the alluring textures of VanGogh, et al.

I vaguely recall my own early elementary class trip to the (defunct) gypsum mines in West Michigan. And the water treatment plant. And the biggy: Gerald R Ford Museum.

I hope Chloe appreciates her trip more than I did mine. Mysteriously, seeing Betty Ford's inauguration dress just didn't do it for me.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

sounds a lot better than the Critter Barn--I hate that place :)

Lorraine said...

Huh. The Gerald R. Ford museum wasn't a highlight of your young life? I once toured the Franz bakery. They gave us rolls.

Tina said...

dont diss the critter barn!!

Anonymous said...

That's my kind of kindergarten. Wow, what a great field trip! Was the trip with their classroom teacher or the art teacher?

Anonymous said...

That's my kind of kindergarten. Wow, what a great field trip! Was the trip with their classroom teacher or the art teacher?

Dana said...

Marsh, I think it was just her regular kindergarten teacher.
I never actually found out why they were going to the museum now...

Anonymous said...

Michelle - do you remember when we were left at the waste water treatment plant by mrs. really mean and hated us haagsma? And Dana - it's just like Ferris Beulers Day off - remember Ferris and his girlfriend walked through the art deal holding hands with kindergardeners? Oh wait - that was in Chicago - oh well - same thing. Practically.

Marc said...

I also remember Mr. Witte's Fabulous Tour of Grand Rapids. Probably the highlight of my life. Except for the Shedd Aquarium.

Dana said...

Marc,
We went on a tour of GR in 4th grade? Absolutely no recollection.